25 January 2010

Christmas Quilt #2

Does anyone remember that old Saturday Night Live skit set during the '96 election where Steve Forbes writes a book similar to Primary Colors and names one of the characters 'Lamar Alexander 2'? Any time anything is the second of something I can't help but think of that skit and laugh.

This quilt was a gift for my stepmom. This was a project that Nikki started a long time ago and never finished. She hand pieced all the blocks on it and then it sat. Trying to unload some UFO's from her work room she sold the pieces to me and I finished putting it together and quilted it.

Photobucket

This quilt is not my normal styling, but I figure with Christmas you can throw normal style sensibilities aside and do just about anything you want :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

To quilt it I ended up doing a sort of wonky free form grid. My good sewing machine is still patiently waiting for it's new motherboard so that limited my quilting abilities, however, I'm still happy with how it turned out.

Photobucket

The backing is coordinating kelly green and white polka dot (or snowball, perhaps) with a few scraps of fabric from the top.

Photobucket.

My stepmom professed her love with it so all in all I think it was a success.


P.S. I'm also aware that now I've reference SNL twice when referring to my sewing. Who knew they'd have so much in common?!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I'm so glad that she liked it. And it makes me happy that it's not sitting unloved any more. ;)

    Love the quilting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if you'll get this on time, but I'm giving a "dress rehearsal" of my talk at 9 am tomorrow. Feel free to come listen if you can make it. Kids welcome of course. 2nd floor of the Midwest Airlines Center, room 203C.

    ReplyDelete

Stat Counter